Monday, December 01, 2008

A Bragging Moment

We kicked off Advent yesterday by incorporating the Hanging of the Green order into each of the Morning Worship services. In case anyone wants to correct me, that it's supposed to be "Hanging of the Greens" rather than my way, I claim no purity. I simply own my southern upbringing, and images of turnip or collard greens being strewn about the sanctuary don't do anything for me.
Our youth led the order. Our kids have led worship several times since I've been here. They are outstanding! They listen. They practice. They seem to like being involved, down to a one. It is a privilege and a joy to work with them, and to put them in charge.
I have, previously, sat in the preacher chair, right in the middle of the action, when they've led things. I have wanted to be there, close, in case anyone got lost, stuck or anything else. Yesterday, I sat in the congregation until it was my turn, about half-way through the service. I wanted them to know that I believe in them, trust them, and knew that they could handle things. I do, I do, and they did.
With all of the challenges out there in the big, scary world, it is a great encouragement to see teenagers who are choosing (yeah, sure, some with the parental foot applied to the point of motivation) to be at church, involved, leading and active, growing their faith. This is not to say that they never make mistakes. They are kids. There are usually issues from school, home and otherwise to work through. But so far, this has also proved to be a place where kids rally around kids when the problems arise, and, more remarkably, the parents have done the same. It is so tempting for us parent-types to want to insulate our own from any others that make bad choices; innoculation by distance, don't you know? But it is truly not an issue of "bad kids"--just kids. And they need love and encouragement even more when they hit a bump.
But they will hit fewer of those bumps if they are busy with matters of the faith and the church, rather than being turned loose to find their own involvements.
It was a very good day, the fruit of hard work by parents and youth leaders, and a significant level of commitment by a group of young people who are all too frequently written off as immature and indifferent. Well done, all!

No comments: