Monday, March 21, 2011

An Ideal Sunday Afternoon

It's been a pretty intense week, with a pretty heavy decision made (previous post) and plans for the future laid. That all just served to make it that much more enjoyable to spend part of the early evening at the Midtown Huey's. Grandmommie and I took Dancing Baby; MommaMomma and Auntie Em arrived shortly after. My old pal DiAnne Price was performing with 2/3 of her Boyfriends. We missed Jim Spake, but nobody's ever mistreated getting to hear DiAnne, Tim Goodwin and Tom Lonardo. DiAnne is Memphis music. She is at home in the Blues, Jazz, Standards, Rock 'n' Roll, and any other genre you can come up with. She can hammer out the barrelhouse, sing with the smoky authenticity of late nights and bad circumstances, turn on a dime, and bring more life to I'll Fly Away than I've ever heard in any church of any denomination. My girls have been listening to DiAnne and the Boyfriends play since Auntie Em was Dancing Baby's age, so I'm now indebted to her to the fourth generation (as my parents are fans, too!)
I don't know what to make of people who don't take music as a part of their lives. Such an absence betrays an emptiness of soul that I cannot account for. I can't begin to explain what relief I have found in seeing my granddaughter, since she was about six months old, literally moved by music. DiAnne was the first person DB heard play live, and she was wiggling and cooing from the first notes. Now, we've graduated to a need to stand on the floor, on her own two feet, to shake a tailfeather. My mother always conquered her low times at the keyboard of her piano. My daughters do the same. Saturday night, at our monthly family gathering, Miss 2-years-old handed out the instruments (woodblocks, cymbals, cow bells, triangle, etc.) as the whole family concentrated on her and followed her lead in Family Band Practice. She sang Itsy Bitsy Spider at the top of her lungs, as eleven or twelve hand-held percussion pieces thundered around her. Pretty much the way it should be.
I hope she will always find solace, diversion, direction, hope, joy and so much more through music. As I have come, this spring, to the realization that the work in which I have spent my life has no more use for me, it has been music that has comforted and mended my soul, something that the church doesn't seem interested in doing any more. But then again, there has always been more authenticity for me in the ministry of a musician performing for wandering souls than in the often absurdly rigid dictates of a faith that carries less and less relevance for humanity every year, with our endless, petty arguments over what kind of sinners God is willing to love and use, and our endless paperwork that reports on fewer and fewer people every time the reports are filed. Case in point: I preached to 12 people this morning. DiAnne played to a crowd of over 200 this evening. I'm glad she's doing the Lord's work.
And, fine, I'm sure those numbers are totally related to my incompetence.
But I know the truth. And so do you. And so does God.

No comments: