Monday, April 21, 2008

Missing and Presumed Dead

What a cold phrase. It seems like one of those military euphemisms designed to cushion reality's blow. Or somehow hide it.
Mickey went fishing Friday. He went by himself, as he so often did. Preachers need time away from people, because our time with people tends to be terribly intense. They found his boat, upside down in the lake. They found his truck parked where he had left it. They spotted his life jacket, floating on the water. It didn't do its job. They haven't found Mickey.
I met him in 1973. His first assignment out of seminary took him to Murray, KY. He was appointed Associate Pastor at First Church. The Senior Pastor was my grandfather. Mickey was news to me. Preachers were like my dad, or my grandfather. Great men, both, they weren't like me. Nor were their generational colleagues. Mickey was. He was young. He was fun. He was corny. He loved the church and God's people. He knew everything that was wrong with the church and how to fix it, if only those older guys (in those days, almost exclusively guys) would just listen or turn him loose. I was almost a teenager when I met Mickey. He made it cool to be part of the church at a time when little about the church seemed cool.
Later, he was the lead pastor in a county where several of us were in our first full-time, on-our- own assignments. He was the gracious, patient, wiser older brother that we all needed. Especially, say, on a night when a young dope forgot to pay his utility bill, or didn't have the money to pay it, and it got very dark after the power got cut off. Mickey and his wife, Marsha, showed up with kerosene lanterns and the cash to turn the power back on. And would never discuss it again after that night; wouldn't even discuss repayment of the cost of the bill.
Mickey was always the same. Nobody ever had a better heart. And he knew how important it was to care about people. In addition to their wonderful twin girls, Mickey and Marsha had a son named Rusty. Rusty had brain tumors that just grew too fast. They had to bury their son. He knew how people could hurt, because he hurt. He believed in the grace of God, because he was sustained by it.
You always felt better after seeing Mickey. I hate like hell that I won't ever see him again. He was a good man. He was a good influence on a kid who would be called to ministry a few years after that first meeting. And he was a minister that I could relate to, could see myself being. I wish I had told him more often how I appreciate him.
God bless Marsha and Megan and Michelle. They are grieving again. That same grace that sustained them when Rusty was sick and died will sustain them now. I just wish they weren't having to rely on it without Mickey's bearhugs to put meat on the bones of God's promises. Mickey was 60. Too young, too young, too young.

No comments: