Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Shelby County Schools Promote Trump's (Utter Lack of) Ethics

We had a problem with math this year, and wound up in summer school. Kate Bond Elementary is the only site within a half hour of our house, so we went there.
The first week, a girl larger than my granddaughter tried to intimidate her by getting in her face and putting her finger in my granddaughter's face. We have taught our children, from oldest to youngest, that we do not accept bullying and intimidation, so my granddaughter pushed her hand away. The girl then hit her in the chest. When I met with her teachers, Stewart of Cordova Elementary and McGee from parts unknown, they saw it as an equal offense situation, and told me that my granddaughter must not put her hands on other students.
Last week, at lunch, a boy called my granddaughter a "dumb bitch." Earlier this week, the same boy asked her, "Are you a whore?" She is ten years old. I spoke with Stewart about this matter yesterday, and she ducked, passing me off to McGee. McGee, obviously a saintly person as she wouldn't say "whore," rather spelled it out to me: "H-O-R-E." This person is an English teacher.
She told me that it was a "he said-she said" situation, so no disciplinary action would be taken toward the boy. This response was, obviously, completely unacceptable.
Today, I went to school and met with the principal, Crutcher. She is not the person listed as principal on Kate Bond's website, so I don't know if that is her school, or she's just assigned there for the summer. Crutcher's position is that the real problem is that my granddaughter discussed what was said to her with a couple of the other children in the room. What I know is that my granddaughter came home and asked what "whore" means. She didn't know that word. She was trying to find that out in the classroom.
This elementary school victim of physical intimidation, bullying, assault, and sexual harassment was blamed by those in power for each of these incidents.
We are no longer in summer school. It is an unacceptable environment for a ten year old girl.
And we wonder how we wind up with a president who dismisses the 20th sexual assault/rape allegation against him by explaining, "she's not my type." And gets away with all of it.
We are training our bullies and future rapists and woman abusers in our public schools, and pardoning their behavior when someone makes an attempt to call them on it.
This country has already gone to hell in a handbasket.

No comments: