Thursday, March 15, 2007

Several, Briefly...

A. We had a health scare last week. Mom had some cranky tests that proved to be, blessedly, benign. This is the downside of being 46. Mom turned 69 in February; Dad will be 70 in June. They are well, active and vital. That makes this a great time to be alive. But I'm no longer a kid, and whether I like it or not, the years are moving along. Enjoy today, friends, enjoy today!
B. Garrison Keillor played the Cannon Center Sunday night, and the wife and I gave the folks-Dad-an early birthday/Father's Day gift. Mr. Keillor is amazing. He performed for two and a half hours, taking no breaks. He led a singalong during the "intermission" and broke up his monologue several times to sing with Robin and Linda Williams, accompanied by Rich Dworski on piano. He talked for, probably, two hours, allowing for the musical interludes. I know what's involved in doing my little 20 minute monologues on Sunday mornings. I can barely comprehend what I witnessed the other night. And, oh yeah, he may be the funniest person on the planet. His genius, for 35 years, has been capturing small town American life. His vocabulary is unlimited, his inflection is everything, and if he doesn't leave you doubled over with sore ribs, you just don't have a sense of humor. My dear friend Edirol captured my father's laughter and my mother's singing amidst my braying. Treasure. What an evening.
C. Sammy Sosa made the club! Sammy will be on the opening day roster when the Rangers break camp. He's had a great Spring. I hope he has a tremendous season. I know the problems, but I love the guy. I witnessed firsthand, on many occasions, the joy the man found in the game. I'm glad he's recovered his smile and his enthusiasm. Baseball is better with Sammy in it.
D. The first day of the NCAA Tournament passed without incident. A couple of 9's beat 8's, but those are hardly upsets. Duke went out to Virginia Commonwealth, a 6 to an 11, but if you saw Duke this year, you know this wasn't an upset. No worry; Coach K (you're right, I don't know how to spell it) will be back and as good as ever.
E. Our Bishop is concerned with our well-being. I am as naturally skeptical as anyone I know, but I think he actually means it. He will require us to take a month's Renewal Leave in each quadrennium (a four year period that isn't called that by anyone who isn't United Methodist), and if we don't he will declare us unappointable. He does things differently from any leader we've had in my lifetime. That makes most of us who serve under him nervous from time to time, because he isn't predictable and seems to have no use for old standards like tenure and salary level. But I like the guy. If I were to be required to have dinner and spend an evening with any of the episcopal leaders I have served under, there's no doubt that the current one would be my choice. But he will have one hell of a fight on his hands to sell this notion to the churches. Renewal will sound to them like vacation, and we have clearly stated policies about vacation. But I won't bet against him making it work.
F. My younger daughter called, wanting to have lunch yesterday. Talk about making a rapidly aging dad feel great! She didn't want anything. Just wanted to spend a little of her last High School Spring Break hanging out with dad. I don't know when I felt so flattered. She is a tremendous young woman. She intends, at this point, to study education and early childhood development. Maybe she can straighten out the Memphis City Schools. Don't bet against her, either. She is just the right medicine for what ails us: intelligent, decent, generous and a genuine love for kids. I would be thrilled if that proves to be her calling in life.
G. One of our church families has quadruplet boys who just turned 3. Another family has a two year old boy. We had lunch with those families last Sunday. To borrow a phrase, That's Entertainment! The best part of a lot of good parts is watching four parents who are dedicated to being parents. All too often the kids are turned loose now to raise themselves, and they just can't do it. They don't have the tools, and there is absolutely no way that they could have them. And yet, in so many instances, even little ones are pushed out there with a hearty "Good Luck" and little else. Why are people afraid to be parents? Children need their parents. Strong, decisive, gracious and loving parents. Who know how to say "No" often, and mean it. Kids just don't need everything they want simply because they laid eyes on it. They are done a disservice when they are lied to and allowed to believe that life will hand over every whim that their hearts ever desire. Boundaries matter. Rules are important. I am proud of my parishoners who work hard at raising their children. And it is hard! The only thing harder is not working at raising the children.
H. Go Tigers Go! Ten hours to tip-off against North Texas State.

No comments: