Thursday, October 16, 2008

That's Entertainment!

I know that the Phillies beat the Dodgers for the NL pennant tonight, but I haven't watched it yet. Missed the presidential debate, too. Had another engagement.
Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt played the Orpheum tonight.
Theirs was as fun as any concert I've attended in, like, forever. Two guys, obviously friends of long-standing, obviously caught up in a mutual admiration society professionally speaking, seated together in chairs with guitars. They played and cut up for two and a half hours. It went by like minutes.
Hiatt is one of my very favorite musicians. He's like Willie Nelson in that he came to prominence with other people recording his songs. His performances of them are always superior. His lyrics are worlds apart from most of the crap being peddled today, but that's the saddest part of the record companies' desire to market everything to the average 12 year old girl. I loved my daughters dearly when they were at that stage, but I didn't listen to their "music." John writes and performs grownup songs for grownups. Oddly, there were no preteens in the building tonight. Heaven!
Lyle Lovett is one of the most wonderful human beings on the planet. He may be the smartest person writing songs today. His work is just a little off-kilter, a rhyme a letter off, a beat missing-or added-every now and then. He's also just plain funny.
The format let the performers' personalities out tonight. They talked, like the old friends they are, between each song. They took turns, helped each other on a couple of tunes, and provided a thoroughly delightful evening for all in attendance.
Just one objection: what is it that tells middle-aged people (of which I am one) that it is still alright to get loaded and act like jerks in public? I do remember my first beer, and how stupid it made me; it's just that for me, that came at age 16. Attention, my fellow suburbanites (not by choice in my case!): drunk and obnoxious at 50 ain't cute any more. Grow the hell up! And while you're at it, try to remember that we all paid good money to hear the artists. No one, especially your humiliated wife, came to watch/listen to you make a complete and total jackass out of yourself! Why not save that for the next fit you pitch at Southwind after hitting into the lake on number six? At least that way, I won't have to experience your moronic behavior.
Back to the enjoyable: we had dinner at Cafe 61 before the show. It was our first visit. Holy cow, will we be back again! Kingston scallops appetizer (sauteed in jerk sauce) followed by Scallops Henri (me) and Pecan-crusted Catfish with Sauteed Shrimp (the boss lady). Too good to be legal! Give the place a try. It's worth it.
So, the National League crowned a champion, the Presidential race moved...forward(?), the economy remains in the crapper, but it was a stellar night for the roommate and me. I'll take that anytime!

No comments: